The assault on the traditional Judaeo Christian family is nothing new but certainly ratcheted up to a new level 43 years ago when society at large sanctioned mothers killing their own children for mere convenience. And the devil's attacks haven't backed off but have consistently chiseled away at God's plan for 'family' from every side. In the last two decades, the accelerated deterioration of family values has been unprecedented.
Add the increase in Islamic indoctrination in schools, minority and racism issues, political correctness and tolerance concerns--even a two parent family can become tested beyond acceptable limits. Single parent families are incalculably more prone to turbulence and children are put at high risk.
- 41% of first marriages, 60% of second marriages and 73% of third marriages end in divorce; 56% of divorces involved one person having an obsessive interest in pornographic websites.
- The number of children living in a 'traditional' family is less than 46% and a full 34% of children have only one parent in their home. 5% have no parent at all.
- Over one million babies are aborted annually in the U.S., about 21% of all pregnancies result in abortion.
- 25% of Internet searches are for porn, an industry that produces more revenue than Microsoft, Google, Amazon, ebay, Yahoo, Apple, Netflix and Earthlink combined!!!
- 11 years old is the average age of a child's first exposure to pornography.
- According to Gallup, the percentage of Christians in the USA declined 12%, from 82% in 2000 to 70% in 2014.
- In 2015, 40.6% of all births were to unwed parents and same sex marriage was federally legalized.
Families are the building block of a moral civilization, and merit your prayer time. But against such daunting statistics, it is easy to feel helpless or overwhelmed, wondering what just one person or even a whole church or community can do. Whether you are praying for your own family or other families, there are a couple of things to remember.
Pray for families, marriages, mothers, fathers, grandparents, children. Spend time in prayer and let your own heart be searched. It is the surest shield against all the attacks of the devil.
- Pray for wisdom. "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him." James 1:5
- Trust His desire to save. God created marriage and the family, He loves those families and each family member more than you or I can know. Romans 5:8 "God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." 1 John 3:1 "See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are."
- Pray in the full knowledge of God's faithfulness and will. “But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.” Psalms 86:15 "For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations” Psalms 100:5
- Know that He hears and honors prayer. "The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." James 5:16 "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” Matthew 21:22
- Pray continually, with patience and persistence. 1Thessalonians 5:17 "pray continually," Luke 18:7 "now, will not God bring about justice for His elect who cry to Him day and night, and will He delay long over them?"
- Pray in humbleness, asking God to search your heart and then act on the Holy Spirit's convictions. 1 Peter 5:6-7 "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you." Philippians 2:3-5 “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus”
- Eliminate any unforgiveness and sin in your heart. Psalm 66:18-19 "If I regard wickedness in my heart, The Lord will not hear; But certainly God has heard; He has given heed to the voice of my prayer." Mathew 6:15 "But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."
- Put a guard on your mouth. Words are incredibly important, and what you say can be as sinful in God's eyes as adultery or murder. Romans 1:29-31 "They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy." Psalms 15:1-3 "Lord, who may dwell in your sacred tent? Who may live on your holy mountain?The one whose walk is blameless, who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from their heart; whose tongue utters no slander, who does no wrong to a neighbor, and casts no slur on others;"
The National Day of Prayer is May 5th and you won't want to miss it, but don't wait to get involved! Join a regular prayer group (check www.PrayMichiana.org to find a prayer group) and get serious about prayer today!
Want to amp up your prayer power? Consider joining a prayer group or getting a prayer partner, pray in the Spirit, and plan enough time to quietly "wait on the Lord" after you pray. You will be amazed at the difference it makes! Prayer groups are listed on the website www.PrayMichiana.org and new prayer events are being added as we become aware of them. Contact info@PrayMichiana to find a group near you or submit information on a prayer group.
Statistical data from: