See What's Happening for Public Schools Week
This week, thousands of educators, parents and friends of public education will join together for events to celebrate our nation's public schools.
Here in Washington, the Learning First Alliance will bring together exemplary public school educators and parents for a panel discussion on their work and how lawmakers and communities can support public education. The panel will be held Feb. 26, 2020 beginning at 2 p.m. ET in Rm. 106 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building. If you cannot attend in person, go to LFA's Facebook Page on Wednesday to watch the event live.
This is the first time such a broad group of working educators and parents has joined together on the Hill. Our panelists include:
- Lily Eskelsen García, President of the National Education Association and elementary school teacher, Utah (panel moderator).
- Dr. Curtis Jones, AASA’s 2019 National Superintendent of the Year, Bibb County School District, Ga.
- Laura Ross, ASCA’s 2020 School Counselor of the Year, Five Forks Middle School, Lawrenceville, Ga.
- Kerensa Wing, NASSP’s 2020 Principal of the Year, Collins Hill High School, Suwanee, Ga.
- Leslie Boggs, 2019-21 President of National PTA.
- Lesley Bruinton, APR, Public Relations Coordinator of Tuscaloosa City Schools, Ala., and president-elect of the National School Public Relations Association.
- Dr. Andy Jacks, NAESP Center for Innovative Leadership Fellow and a 2018 National Distinguished Principal, Ashland Elementary School, Manassas, Va.
- Ashley Kearney, DCPS Public School Teacher of the Year 2020 and math teacher, Ron Brown College Preparatory High School; Washington Teachers Union, Washington, D.C.
- ElizaBeth Branham, president, National School Boards Association; school trustee, Lexington School District 2, S.C.
Across the country, there are many events taking place—we've heard about open houses, reunions and visits from local lawmakers to see firsthand the great things happening in public schools. Dothan City (Ala.) Schools will host the "Get on Board with DCS" School Bus Tour to show members of the community their schools from pre-K to career technology education. Mooreland Public School in Oklahoma will open its brand-new school to the community, Boston Public Schools are hosting STEAM events, and Provone High School in Mississippi will hold a legislative day at the state capitol. And there are so many more!
If you're holding an event, please use the hashtags #PublicSchoolProud, #PublicSchoolsWeek and #PSW20 on social media so that we can share it as well. Our social media toolkit has many suggestions for posts and photos. For more information about PublicSchoolsWeek 2020 or any events, go to www.publicschoolsweek2020.org.
Thank you for all your support for public schools and the nation's 50.8 million public school students!