A depiction of the parable of the rich fool, Luke 12:13-21, by Rembrandt, 1627.
"And I will say to my soul, `Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.' But God said to him, `You fool! This very night your life is being demanded of you. And the things you have prepared, whose will they be?' So it is with those who store up treasures for themselves but are not rich toward God."
With the new school year coming in just two short weeks, Resurrection's ministry leaders are readying for a new year of religious education, prayer, and service. Read on for opportunities to deepen your spiritual life and widen your circle of fellowship:
• On Sunday, August 18, we'll share in a liturgy of backpack blessings during the 10:30 service. All ages of students are encouraged to bring their school bags and participate.
• The following Sunday, August 25, we will have name-tags for everyone to wear and will be taking photographs to update the parish directory.
• Immediately following the 10:30 service on August 25, bring your swimsuits, lawn chairs, and a dish of food to share to the lakeside home of Camilla Cathcart, 180 Bloodworth Road, Waterloo, SC. We’ll celebrate new beginnings with a potluck lunch and fun in the sun.
• On the evening of August 25, the Resurrection Foundation is hosting an information meeting in Emmaus Hall at 6:00 PM. All are invited to come together for refreshments. Please RSVP to the parish office at email@example.com or 223-5426.
• Bill Updegraff will be offering watercolor classes at Resurrection beginning Sept 19th. Please call or email Marty Cobb with questions or to sign up, firstname.lastname@example.org or 992-6306.
• The Daughters of the King are delighted to announce that we will begin classes in September to prepare Resurrection women to be received into the St Margaret's Chapter of the Daughters of the King in early 2020. All Resurrection women are welcome. Please call Marty Cobb at 992-6306 or Noonie Fennell at 554-2050 for information about the Order or the classes.
• EfM needs you! EfM (Education for Ministry) is starting a new cohort for the year 2019-2020. We gather at Resurrection once a week for small group discussion and reflection on the bible, its historical context and biblical scholarship, as well as interlude books on related theological topics. EfM provides a kind of spiritual growth and theological education that you can get nowhere else. If you are curious about this program, contact Chuck McDonnell at email@example.com or 864-321-9226. You might also speak with current members – Terri Bacon, Trish Craven, Elizabeth Floyd, Salley Hyatt, or recent graduates – Rebecca Long, Leslie McDonnell.
• Our Children’s Worship program needs some fresh faces on its roster of volunteers. Volunteers serve once a month as either a storyteller or greeter and lead young children in worshipful wondering about the major stories of the bible. Anyone who enjoys sharing God’s story with little ones should consider this opportunity to serve. Contact Elizabeth Floyd if you have an interest, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• It is not too early to seek sponsors for our Thanksgiving Day Race to be Thankful. We could use an enthusiastic, charismatic and possibly well-connected person to help obtain sponsors from area businesses and companies. If this sounds like you and you are willing to help, please contact Kim Russell at email@example.com or 344-8009. Compensation includes a free t shirt and a great amount of appreciation.
• Pastoral Care in Transition: Fr. Bolle will be available for our pastoral needs throughout his time as our interim rector. You may reach him by phone at 864-554-3240 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, August 1
9:00 AM - 12:30 PM VBS @ Immanuel Lutheran Church 5:30 PM Yoga at COR (Gathering Place) Parrish Office Closed
Friday, August 2 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM VBS @ Immanuel Lutheran Church Parish Office Closed
Saturday, August 3 9 AM Altar Guild Preparations
This Sunday, August 4
8:30 AM Holy Eucharist I 9:30 AM Adult Choir Rehearsal 10:30 AM Holy Eucharist II
Monday, August 5 5:30 PM Yoga at COR (Gathering Place)
Tuesday, August 6 10 AM Staff Meeting
Wednesday, August 7 10:00 AM Holy Eucharist and Healing Service
Thursday, August 8 5:30 PM Yoga at COR (Gathering Place)