Light of the World, William Holman Hunt, 1851-1856.
"Be dressed for action and have your lamps lit; be like those who are waiting for their master to return from the wedding banquet, so that they may open the door for him as soon as he comes and knocks."
- Luke 12:35
Resurrection welcomes a special guest preacher this Sunday, August 11. Our very own Mitchell Felton will deliver the homily for both services. Mitchell served our parish as youth ministry coordinator and recently entered the discernment process for priesthood in the Episcopal Church. We are delighted to support him in his journey and to have him speak this Sunday!
Resurrection's Back-to-School / Back-to-Formation celebrations begin next Sunday, August 18. We will pray a litany of blessing for all students and teachers to mark the beginning of the 2019-2020 academic year. We encourage you to be present and participate and to bring along your backpacks as well.
On the following Sunday, August 25, we will officially kick-off a new year of formation and hospitality.
> Name-tags will be available on a table at the rear of the Nave. Please wear yours proudly so that newcomers and other folks we don’t know that well can more easily become our friends.
> After the service, come through the courtyard for a quick photo so that we can update our parish directory.
> Immediately after the 10:30 service on August 25, bring your swimsuits, lawn chairs, and a dish of food to share to the lakeside home of Camilla Cathcart, 180 Bloodworth Road, Waterloo, SC. We’ll end our celebrations with a potluck lunch and fun in the sun.
We invite you to read a letter from Bishop Andrew Waldo, regarding the recent videos shared by a young man from Columbia, SC. You can find it here. Bishop Waldo's letter is also available on the Diocese's Facebook page.
Some wonderful opportunities to note:
• The Resurrection Foundation is hosting an information meeting on the evening of August 25 at 6:00 PM. All are invited to come together for refreshments in Emmaus Hall. Please RSVP to the parish office at 223-5426 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Bill Updegraff will be offering watercolor classes at Resurrection beginning Sept 19th. Please call or email Marty Cobb with questions or to sign up, 992-6306 or email@example.com.
• The Daughters of the King are delighted to announce that we will begin classes in September to prepare Resurrection women to be received into the St Margaret's Chapter of the Daughters of the King in early 2020. All Resurrection women are welcome. Please call Marty Cobb at 992-6306 or Noonie Fennell at 554-2050 for information about the Order or the classes.
• EfM needs you! EfM (Education for Ministry) is starting a new cohort for the year 2019-2020. We gather at Resurrection once a week for small group discussion and reflection on the bible, its historical context and biblical scholarship, as well as interlude books on related theological topics. EfM provides a kind of spiritual growth and theological education that you can get nowhere else. If you are curious about this program, contact Chuck McDonnell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 864-321-9226. You might also speak with current members – Terri Bacon, Trish Craven, Elizabeth Floyd, Salley Hyatt, or recent graduates – Rebecca Long, Leslie McDonnell.
• Our Children’s Worship program needs some fresh faces on its roster of volunteers. Volunteers serve once a month as either a storyteller or greeter and lead young children in worshipful wondering about the major stories of the bible. Anyone who enjoys sharing God’s story with little ones should consider this opportunity to serve. Contact Elizabeth Floyd if you have an interest, email@example.com.
• It is not too early to seek sponsors for our Thanksgiving Day Race to be Thankful. We could use an enthusiastic, charismatic and possibly well-connected person to help obtain sponsors from area businesses and companies. If this sounds like you and you are willing to help, please contact Kim Russell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 344-8009. Compensation includes a free t shirt and a great amount of appreciation.
• Pastoral Care in Transition: Fr. Bolle will be available for our pastoral needs throughout his time as our interim rector. You may reach him by phone at 864-554-3240 or email at email@example.com.
Thursday, August 8 5:30 PM Yoga at COR (Gathering Place)
Saturday, August 10 9 AM Altar Guild Preparations
This Sunday, August 11
8:30 AM Holy Eucharist I 9:30 AM Adult Choir Rehearsal 10:30 AM Holy Eucharist II
Monday, August 12 5:30 PM Yoga at COR (Gathering Place)
Tuesday, August 13 7 PM Vestry Meeting
Wednesday, August 14 10:00 AM Holy Eucharist and Healing Service
Thursday, August 15 5:30 PM Yoga at COR (Gathering Place)