O Jesus, I have promised to serve thee to the end:
be thou for ever near me, my Master and my friend;
I shall not fear the battle if thou art by my side,
nor wander from the pathway if thou wilt be my guide.
~ Hymnal 655
This Sunday will be another special day for Resurrection. Bishop Andrew Waldo and Rev. Deacon Jane Hostetter will be with us, and several members of our parish will be confirmed, received or reaffirmed as members of the household of God. Make time to attend and support these members of our church family: Wells Anderson, Stephen Driskill, Mitchell Felton, Sarah Grigg, Margaret Ann Hughes, Emma Jones, Walker Moore, Dorothy Anna Russell, Shana Southard-Dobbs, Karen and Michael Whitfield and Jack Wiseman.
Bishop Waldo also will lead a very timely and important discussion during the adult forum at 9:30,Ambassadors of Reconciliation: Christian Maturity in an Age of Alienation -
That we live in a time of deep change, polarization and alienation has become all too evident. We sometimes avoid any conversation with friends, family or colleagues on touchy subjects just to keep the peace, creating even greater distance from others with whom we otherwise long to be in productive and hopeful relationships. Scripture calls us as disciples of Jesus to bear witness to another way, to be ambassadors of reconciliation. Join Bishop Waldo in a conversation that puts the scriptural tools of mature Christian discipleship at the heart of our daily coming and going in the world—regardless of our secular politics or ideologies—and our ability to proclaim the good news of God in Christ Jesus to a broken world.
Some other important items to note:
• This coming week brings a few changes with the celebration of Independence Day. We will have the Wednesday service of Holy Eucharist and Healing to be led by Rev. Dan Bacon at 10:00 AM. But the parish office will be closed the following days, July 4 and 5. We wish each of you a wonderful and safe holiday.
• Next Sunday, July 7, we will enjoy a patriotic breakfast between the services at 9:30 AM in Emmaus Hall. Join us for delicious biscuits and gravy courtesy of Domer Ridings and other yummy treats. Father Bolle will still be away visiting his new grandson, and we will be honored to have the Rev. Donald S. McPhail as our guest celebrant and preacher.
• There are still several slots available in Camp Kanuga Day Camp - July 15-19! Register right away, if you haven't already. Resurrection is fortunate to provide 24 full scholarships for this camp. Share the news about this wonderful camp experience with your friends, family and neighbors. Be sure to share the church’s Facebook announcement on your own timeline so word can be spread throughout Greenwood.
• Peaceable Kingdom VBS begins on July 29. If your children or grandchildren plan to attend, be sure to add their names to the registration list on the display table in the Gathering Space.
• We need helpers for VBS! Anyone with artistic gifts to share in the weeks before VBS should contact Elizabeth Floyd right away. Those with time (in any amount) to give during the week of VBS are encouraged to contact her as well. VBS could use Kingdom commissioners for the opening ceremonies, group guides and storytellers. Elizabeth Floyd can be reached easily at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• It is not too early to seek sponsors for our Thanksgiving Day Race to be Thankful. We could use an enthusiastic, charismatic and possibly well-connected person to help obtain sponsors from area businesses and companies. If this sounds like you and you are willing to help, please contact Kim Russell at email@example.com or 344-8009. Compensation includes a free t shirt and a great amount of appreciation.
• Pastoral Care in Transition: Fr. Bolle will be available for our pastoral needs throughout his time as our interim rector. You may reach him by phone at 864-554-3240 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, June 27 5:30 PM Yoga at COR (Gathering Place)
Saturday, June 29 9 AM Altar Guild Preparations
This Sunday, June 30 9:30 AM Open Forum with Bishop Waldo 10:30 AM Holy Eucharist with Confirmation 12 Noon Reception 12:30 PM Bishop waldo meets with the Vestry
Monday, July 1 5:30 PM Yoga at COR (Gathering Place)
Wednesday, July 3
9:30 AM Rafters Mailing 10:00 AM Holy Eucharist and Healing Service