We appreciate all of our volunteers during the regular
school year, but we also need volunteer tutors for our summer sites.
The list of sites can be found here.
The summer sessions will be Tuesday-Thursday from June 14 to August 18 from 5-6 p.m. and 6:15-7:15 p.m. Click on each site name to see which day it meets.
Can you help? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at
919-538-3840 to let us know your availability.
The School Year Comes to an End
The end of the Read and Feed year is bittersweet for the hundreds of children and tutors that participate in our program. Everyone feels a great sense of accomplishment and pride along with a bit of sadness in knowing that the relationships may be coming to an end.
But the last Read and Feed session is a time for fun and celebration! The children enjoy pizza and sweet treats, and most site leads organize games or special reading events for the children.
Fifth grade participants are given graduation certificates and a copy of the Dr. Seuss book, Oh the Places You’ll Go,
as they prepare to go to middle school.
Teams race to unscramble letters to spell words
Read and Feed volunteers work hard to help students gain confidence in their reading and writing abilities. Going to middle school can be intimidating, and feeling on par with the other students can help kids feel at ease.
Fifth grader, Jose, says he is sad that he will no longer be able to go to Read and Feed once he’s in middle school. But Read and Feed has helped prepare Jose for his transition. He says, “I used to have bad grades in reading, but I have improved a lot. When I take tests, it’s easier to answer questions.”
Ashley is another graduating fifth grader who says that Read and Feed helped her to test one level higher at the end of the year. Ashley feels prepared and excited about going to middle school.
Rock and Roast Sponsors
Read and Feed has its first Rock & Roast sponsors!
A special thanks to Dr. Richard Adelman for his Bronze sponsorship and Marc and Cecile Noel for their Silver Sponsorship. This year's Rock and Roast will be on Thursday September 15 at 5:30 p.m. at Marbles Kids Museum.
- $10,000 Diamond Sponsor - Funds all expenses for 24 children for an entire semester at one of our mobile classroom sites. This includes curriculum, nutritious meals, books, student incentives and the cost to operate the RV.
- $5,000 Platinum Sponsor - Covers the cost for one mobile classroom driver, the RV maintenance and fuel for one semester.
- $2,500 Gold Sponsor - Feeds all of the children at our 26 sites for one week.
- $1,000 Silver Sponsor - Covers the cost for bookbags, school supplies and student incentives for one site for an entire semester.
- $500 Bronze Sponsor - Sponsors one child by providing meals, curriculum, a bookbag filled with school supplies and student incentives for one semester.
- $250 Friend of Read and Feed Sponsor -Provides student incentives for 10 sites for one week.
If you or your company is interested in being a sponsor, please email email@example.com.
Keep in touch with Read and Feed on social media.
Share your pictures and anecdotes. We love to see our volunteers and kids out in the community. Share posts and tell your friends about Read and Feed. We can't succeed without YOU!