CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
GCCA+ Global Learning Event (GLE)
"Innovative and effective approaches to climate change adaptation and other post COP21 agreement priorities"
Brussels, 12-14 September 2016
The European Commission announces its 3rd Global Event ‘Innovative and effective approaches to climate change adaptation and other post COP21 agreement priorities’, to be held, on 12-13-14 September 2016 in Brussels, Belgium.
The Agenda 2030 with the SDGs and the COP21 Paris Agreement on climate change provide a new strategic framework for international cooperation. Consequently, the GCCA+ plans to contribute strategically, financially and technically, over the period 2016-2020, to the efforts of LDCs and SIDS parties to address these challenges.
A year after the launch of the GCCA+, and as experiences from the GCCA, other programmes and the recent COP21 Paris Agreement accumulate across the globe, it is important that the GCCA+ ensures that lesson learning is an integral part of the development process and that knowledge generated from its implementation is shared across countries and regions and with key stakeholders and development partners. The GCCA+ Global Learning Event will explore how experience on the ground influences policy development and vice-versa on local, national and international scales.
The aim of the GCCA+ GLE2016 will be to:
- to share past GCCA and current GCCA+ best practices and challenges to scaling-up and increasing impacts amongst beneficiaries and potential donors;
- to present recent and updated climate strategies and examples across various development sectors and actors such as on INDCs, NAPs, engagement with new stakeholders, new tools and approaches
- to extract conclusions for the GCCA+.
The GCCA+ GLE2016 will discuss more specifically the following four topics:
- How could the INDCs be effectively linked to the other climate change policy processes (e.g., NAPA, NAPs, National Communications)?
- How to increase the social benefits of climate change policies and interventions (e.g. Number of beneficiaries, dissemination of best practices, etc.)?
- Linking gender, poverty and climate change mainstreaming - challenges and opportunities.
- Risk management solutions and tools (climate models, risk assessments, insurance schemes, adapted technologies, etc.) as a response to the adverse effects of climate change.
Therefore wewould like to invite European Delegation representatives, implementing partners, governmental bodies, non-state actors from academia, NGOs and the private sector working in the GCCA+ targeted countries with direct applied knowledge to submit proposals strictly focusing on these four topics and reporting practical experiences or studies showing the path towards a successful implementation of the Paris Agreement on these matters in Less Developed Countries (LDCs) and Small Island Developing States (SIDS).
The submissions can be presented in multiples forms and media such as papers, posters, presentations, videos, etc.
All submissions should include the following information as a common basis for selection: Clear title; Geographical scope (regional, national, sub-national); Sector(s); Stakeholder(s) involved; Result(s); Lesson(s) learnt.
Submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
- relevance to one or more of the four topics,
- contribution to the implementation of the Paris Agreement,
- potential for duplication, scaling up and impact, and
- innovative power of idea, relevance of area, and potential for impact.
Accepted submissions will be presented at one of the thematic sessions on day 1 and day 2 or during the open space session of day 3 (1/2 day). These submissions as well as others of value to the GCCA+ and that would not have been presented will also feature in the GLE2016 publication.
The key dates are as follows:
- Deadline for submission of concept (one pager): 15th June 2016
- Notification to selected submissions: 30th June 2016
- Deadline for submission of full paper/poster/presentation/video/etc.: 31st July 2016
- Deadline for the submission of revised paper/poster/presentation/video/etc.: 31st August 2016.
With this email, we would like to invite and encourage you to:
- submit a proposal addressing one or more of the four topics selected for the GLE2016 that you would like to present at the conference (short, one-page description suffices at this stage);
- forward this invite to researchers who are studying new, exciting topics.
Please submit your proposal by the 15th of June 2016, by emailing: info[at]gcca.eu
We intend to confirm the participants and speakers of the conference by end of July 2016. Please note that there is travel support available for the selected presenters – subject to individual arrangements.
i Two previous GCCA+ global events have taken place in the past:
The first GCCA Global Learning Event took place from 12 to 14 September 2012.
The GCCA’s second global event took place from 18 to 20 September 2013.
ii On April 22nd, 2016, 155 countries committed to sign the Paris Agreement on Climate Change.