Holding Your Annual Meeting/Election of Officers and Directors During COVID Pandemic
The current coronavirus pandemic continues to preclude FSP chapters from holding in-person meetings. For many chapters, this means the annual meeting of the membership, where the election of officers and directors takes place, will need to be postponed or held virtually, or perhaps both.
The first thing to keep in mind is that whatever you decide, it will be okay. Don’t get bogged down worrying about being out of compliance with your bylaws. State laws allow flexibility in crisis or emergency situations. The important thing is that you use your best efforts to ensure that all members have been notified as to the slate of candidates and when, where, and how the annual meeting and election will take place.
The following is a suggested best practice for how to handle your annual meeting and election in 2020:
- Follow your standard procedures for identifying candidates and selecting nominees.
- Announce nominees to the membership via email with date and time for a virtual annual meeting. Include information on how to join the meeting.
- In the same email message or a follow-up communication, provide a mechanism for members to submit their vote. See attached example from the Greater Philadelphia Chapter.
- Post the announcement on your website home page with a link to how to vote and how to join the virtual meeting.
- Send follow-up messages as needed to increase likelihood of having a quorum.
Check out the Zoom FAQs (link below) for easy guidance on setting up a Zoom meeting. Other similar services are available, if Zoom doesn’t work for you.
If you have any questions, contact Anne Rigney (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Amy Johnson (email@example.com).