Water Efficiency Checklist for Restaurants
A restaurant that reduces water consumption by 20% can save over a thousand dollars annually. Here's a checklist to identify water saving opportunities for restaurants:
Water Efficiency for the Kitchen
- Turn off the continuous flow used to wash drain trays at beverage islands. Clean only as needed.
- Adjust ice machines to dispense less if ice is being wasted.
- Presoak utensils and dishes in basins of water instead of running water.
- Replace pre-rinse sprayers that can use as much as 4.5 gallons per minute (GPM) with low-volume nozzles that use 2.0 GPM.
- Do not use running water in bar sinks to melt ice.
- Consider installing foot triggers at food preparation faucets.
- Use automatic shut-off faucets at bar sinks.
- Serve water only upon request.