First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH for lending your voice, talent, and time to this project. When I was Mexico two weeks ago, I encountered so many references to the missing 43 students that something in me just snapped and I knew I wanted to do something to help. I’m so thankful that this cause resonated with you as well and that we can embark on this journey together.
A few of items of business:
- You've agreed to make one red & white square (or rectangle) featuring the student's name prominently. While finished sizes are flexible, please keep submissions to around 12"x12" (for squares... rectangles can wing it!) It's important that we be able to fit everybody on this quilt.
- Be as clever and creative as you want! The quilt will only be more powerful with a variety of voices represented.
- Please prewash your fabrics. Coming from 43 different places, it’s best if we prewash everything to prevent uneven shrinkage.
- Post on social media as often as you see fit. Half of this project is the quilt and the other half is raising awareness. Please use the hashtag #43for43 so we can follow each others’ work.
- The deadline for this project is April 22.
- For further guidelines on the project, please click here.
- If at any point you're unable to complete your submission, please let me know as soon as possible so we can find a replacement.
- Lastly, my mailbox is officially open for business whenever you’re ready! I’ll post my address below. Please put your submission in a plastic bag to prevent anything from happening in transit.
Once I receive all 43 submissions, I'll get to work assembling the quilt top and getting it quilted.
If you have any questions, please ask!
If you have any ideas for how to increase the exposure of this project, please share!
All the best, and as they say in Mexico,
#hastaencontrarlos (until they’re found),
385 East 18th Street, #4J
Brooklyn, NY 11226