Welcome to November!
OCTOBER BOARD MEETING
An overview from October’s board meeting:
- Board members gave updates on their respective sectors
- Financially we are running a small surplus for the first quarter of our financial year
- The IRD conducted a GST audit (as a not-for-profit we don’t pay GST) – we passed with no adjustments made
- I presented a deputation to the local board on the proposed targeted rate to fund the Newmarket Laneways Masterplan. Local board adopted a motion to support this
- We have engaged a security consultant to help with our CCTV network review and upgrade in 2021
- Marketview reports for the September quarter are very positive. However, Westfield accounted for only one month of last year’s September quarter (more details below)
- We are addressing AT’s concerns regarding our proposed Paul Hartigan neon sculpture for Broadway
Help us spread the word. This year Newmarket’s Win Your Christmas Wishlist campaign is back - spend $100 or more in Newmarket throughout December (up until December 18) and share what’s on your Christmas wishlist to Santa up to the value of $1000 (from Newmarket). With a total of $30,000 worth of wishlists being gifted, by entering your wishlist online at newmarket.co.nz
, you can go in the draw to win it. Entrants must hold onto their receipts. Whether it’s a retail store, hair salon, florist, café or restaurant, this year we’d love to get more members involved in the campaign by encouraging your consumers to spend $100 in store - they can enter to win their ultimate wishlist (from your store). We’d love you to share this campaign with your databases to get as many people as excited about it and make Newmarket their first choice in the lead up to Christmas. This campaign will be rolled out across print, digital and radio from late November, throughout December. To download an editable (InDesign or Adobe) tile, please click here
. You can switch out the colours and image to align with your branding. If you have any questions or would like to know more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
See an example below:
- The Newmarket Christmas Tree and Santa’s Mailbox is back on Lumsden Green from 16 November
- 9 LED giant Christmas gift boxes will be installed around the precinct
- Christmas flags installed around the precinct, with a Kiwiana Christmas artwork design by Auckland artist, Flox
- Santa and helpers will be roaming around the precinct over weekends in December taking photos and handing out lollies
BUSINESS PARKING SURVEY - MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT
UPDATE YOUR BUSINESS LISTING ON OUR WEBSITE
If you’d like to update your listing on our website, please click here
SEPTEMBER QUARTER RESULTS
At a macro level the precinct is up 24.2% compared to the same quarter last year. This includes just one month of Westfield from 2019, so that has bumped things up in 2020 considerably. Some parts of the precinct are down (see table below) – the second lockdown happened during Q3. Anecdotal feedback is mostly positive, but it seems very hard to identify a definable trend. All indicators suggest we will have a very strong finish to the year - as long as there are no further lockdowns of course.
The Ministry of Transport is conducting a survey on parking for businesses. As part of their research, they are keen to survey businesses in Auckland. The more data they collect, the more meaningful it will be. Answer survey questions
Our crime wave has reduced somewhat and we have kept up the focus. We are having meetings with government agencies on a regular basis, and have managed to get some media coverage
along with colleagues from other central fringe town centres. We do expect crime to spike again in the run up to Christmas. I recently sat down with Sergeant Craig Fischer from Newmarket Police to discuss ways to minimise theft from your business and what to do when crime or anti-social behaviour happens. Watch clip here
If you would like to learn more about our Storewatch intel-sharing programme, please email me.
We are still working through the Expressions of interest for our security provider, as well as the in-house feasibility study. We expect to have an outcome before the end of the year.
If you have shop lifters’ images from your own CCTV, here is a link to what you can and can’t do with those images. Click here
The Deal usually goes out on the first Tuesday of the month however this month it will align with Cyber Weekend starting on Friday 27th
November. This means The Deal eDM will be sent out on Tuesday 24th November. The Deal highlights various sales and promotions and a free service provided to members while the database is built up. Please contact Kelly to be included email@example.com
EXCLUSIVE B2B GIVEAWAYS & DEALS
We have developed a platform for our members to be able to share deals and promotions exclusively with fellow Newmarket businesses, encompassing B2B and employee deals, called ‘Local Offers’. Click here
to view. To be included please email Kelly
for more information.
NEWMARKET PROMO VIDEO
You may have seen this short clip to help promote Newmarket. This has been a follow up to the domestic marketing campaign we ran earlier this year. This video has been pushed out and geo-targeted to consumers around the country. Click here
to watch, and please feel free to share the link far and wide across your own platforms.
Please join our Member’s only Facebook Group. (www.facebook.com/groups/NBAmembers
). We often share urgent updates on this page for your information.
HAND SANITISER STATIONS
For a map of all the hand sanitiser station locations, please click here