IN THE LOOP -
DATE: 15 January 2019
Firstly, MIAC staff wish all members’ and their families a very Happy New Year for 2019.
AFTER HOURS INCIDENT AT MIAC:
It is with regret that I must inform ALL MIAC members of this incident.
It was identified that some person or persons entered the MIAC premises after hours on or about Saturday 29th December 2018 after 3.00pm and before 9.50am on Sunday 30th December 2018. The Gallery sitter was confronted with dog faeces inside the back door. Then the gallery sitter entered the gallery to find pottery pieces had been oddly moved and stacked with one piece broken on the floor, and just left there.
I personally find this incident confronting and disappointing that nobody has owned up to this, as it appears that the person or persons involved are most likely members, it is therefore, a sad indictment that puts a cloud over our members.
The incident has left me and the committee feeling sickened, angry & violated knowing that a fellow member has little, or no regard for their fellow artists and their works.
Much debate was had about how to handle this incident. Security access will be reviewed considering changes to building access. There will be a fast track to get security cameras installed in the Gallery/Workshop and the Pottery Shed. The inclusion of this incident into our ‘’In The Loop” is to inform all members to make everyone aware of the situation and to possibly jolt the conscience of the guilty person/persons as well as to pay for the damage.
President - MIAC
I feel so angry about what has happened, & let’s face it, it could have been much worse. If this member is ever found out they should lose their membership. If they own up to it (anonymously), pay for the breakage they will be forgiven
NEXT GENERAL MEETING: Will take place on Wednesday 6th February 2019 at 10.00 am at MIAC.
Continuing Members EXHIBITION:
- The Continuing Members’ Exhibition currently showing at MIAC will end on Sunday 17th March 2019 at 3pm.
- Artists please collect your work between 3-4pm Sunday 17th or Monday 18th between 9-12 noon.
- The pottery group members’ Fired Earth Exhibition will open on Friday 22nd March until Sunday 14th April, when new work for ALL members’ will be added. This continuing exhibition will open on Wednesday 17th and continue until 19th May, when a private exhibition will be held.
- The potters’ welcome painters’ and photographers’ to submit a piece of work, which has not been previously shown, to exhibit at the Fired Earth Exhibition.
Fired Earth EXHIBITION:
- MIAC to receive entry forms by Friday 15th March 2019.
- Entry forms will be available from the Arts workshop/meeting room or pottery shed from 18th February.
- All work(s) to be exhibited must be left at MIAC by Monday 18th March. Closing time for accepting work(s) will be 12 noon on that day.
- The Fired Earth Exhibition and subsequent Continuing Members’ Exhibition runs from 22nd March until 18th May 2019.
Continuing Members’ EXHIBITION:
- ALL members’ to leave their work(s) and entry form at MIAC to add to the Fired Earth Exhibition by 3pm on Friday 12th April 2019 if you want your works to be included in the Continuing Members’ Exhibition. This includes Artists at Work.
- Artists at Work will take place on Easter Sunday 21st April 2019.
The Opening night of the Fired Earth Exhibition will be celebrated on Friday 22nd March 2019 at 6.00 pm. Please join us for the opening of new exhibits, meet local artists, meet new friends and view the excellent works on display. Wine and nibbles will be provided on the night.
We have a wonderful acrylic painting (size: 820mm high, 980mm wide) to raffle from a very popular past MIAC member, Glenn Woolford.
The raffle will be drawn at Artists at Work, Easter Sunday.
Tickets: $2 per ticket, or 3 for $5.
Pottery Shed opens Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday 9am – 12pm, and any other time by arrangement with a pottery team member.
Earthenware glaze fire: 17th January 2019
Bisque fire: 31st January 2019
Or see notice boards inside and outside the pottery shed.
Reminder to all potters, we have canvases to use with the slab roller, please use the correct canvas for the appropriate coloured clay.
Canvases have now been marked as to which colour clay is to be used.
Please ensure all tables are cleaned before you leave.
Kolour-Pattern-Klimt Workshop with Dr Katrina Simmons:
The 10th January 2019 workshop has been changed to the following:
by Dr Katrina Simmons
Create a unique Gustav Klimt inspired picture at this fun 1 day Workshop
Date And Time
Thu. 31 January 2019
10:00 am – 3:00 pm AEST
Add to Calendar
Macleay Island Arts Complex Inc.
95 Coast Road
MacLeay Island, QLD 4184
|Australia Day Big Bash
RICArts, together with BIMSARA,
Friendly Bay Islander and Mark Edwards
will host an Australia Day event
at The Farm, Art House & Gallery, Russell Island
on 26th January starting at 10:00 am
This event will include "The Bay Islander of the Year' awards and presentations
Races; Games; entertainment; kids activities; markets; food stalls, dev teas and more
|RICArts are privileged to have local artist
Beatrice Sheehan regularly tutor our Tuesday Group
This will commence next Tuesday 15th Jan at 9.30 am
The subject will be 'Pet Portraiture'
Alternately you can bring you own project
Beatrice will be available to offer support
RICArts are proud to offer a second weaving workshop by Tricia Dobson
Thursday 2nd Feb 1.00 - 4.00 pm. Cost $40
Redland City Council Art Gallery
Redland Art Gallery invites children 6 – 12 years, and families to participate in
APT9 Kids on tour, an exciting program of projects and activities
developed by the exhibiting artists and the Queensland Art
Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art’s Children’s Art Centre.
Wednesday 16 January 2019 at Macleay Island Arts Complex, 95 Coast Road
Drop in session 10am - 1pm. No RSVP required
Noeleen Webb painting sessions:
Ongoing group: Tuesdays - 2pm to 4pm.
$10 for MIAC members, $15 for non-members.
Noeleen’s paid sessions will commence again on 29th
Tuesday morning members art group:
Ongoing group: 10am until 12.
No teacher/tutor. Open to all members.
The above art session, as per usual, costs a $5 sitting fee.
Life drawing workshop
There will be no life drawing workshop in January. The first life drawing workshop for 2019 which takes place on the first Friday of each month, commences on Friday 1st February
MIAC - Macleay Island Arts Complex, QLD
recommends Redland Art Gallery