Shows this month!
Some special events are coming up, like
Plus shows at the Laurelthirst, Southfork, and Al's Den...
- release of the Hot Club's CD (which features 10 musicians!) at the lovely Fremont Theater next Saturday;
- Halloween show (the Sat. before) with the Bilgerats & Pyrettes, at my first time playing the Spare Room!
And there is a fun little video linked to at the end of this message!
Saturday, Oct 14th 12pm
Rain or Shine at
Scratch Made Market
Rain or Shine is a trio of guitar, violin, and accordion playing a variety of styles including vintage swing, bluegrass, film soundtrack numbers, Brazilian, Irish, Klezmer, and polkas! The band has played private gigs regularly for several years, and has performed over 8 hours of material. Musicians are Jeffree White, Flauren Ricketts, and Steve Cleveland. You can hear samples of the band here.
The trio performs at this flea market at the Beaverton Elks Lodge. See the event page for more details.
Sunday, Oct 15th 12pm
Hot Club of Hawthorne
the Laurelthirst Public House 3rd Sunday brunches! All ages. Never a line.
Saturday, Oct 21st 8:00pm
Hot Club of Hawthorne CD Release Party!
In March 2017, an expanded lineup of the Hot Club of Hawthorne went into the studio at Fremont Recording. Then in October, a 2nd lineup -- representative of the typical instrumentation for the band -- recorded another session, in a different sonic environment. 14 songs — swing numbers from 1922 or earlier, gypsy traditionals, and a waltz — were performed live in the studio, and it was mixed to tape for an organic sound. We are very pleased with the results!
SESSION 1 — Fremont location
- Jeffree White (founder) — guitar, vox
- Jason Reichert (Down Home Music, the Juleps) — guitar, vox
- Rick King (Steer Crazy, Inspirational Beets) —, vox
- Jeffrey Reynolds (Down Home Music) — violin
- Steve Cleveland (Hot Club Time Machine) — accordion
- Ralph Carney (Tom Waits, Pepper Grinders) — clarinet, saxophone
- Drew Nelson (Vagabond Opera) — bass
SESSION 2 — Sauvie Island location of Fremont Recording
- Jeffree White — guitar, vocals
- Twayn Williams (Jenny Finn Orchestra) — guitar
- Flauren Ricketts (Lulu's Wing) — violin, harmony vocals
- Bernardo Gomez (every swing band in town) — bass
To celebrate, this show occurs down the street from the studio, at the magnificent Fremont Theater. The lineup will include 6 players from the 1st session!
The Juleps open the show at 8pm.
$10 admission. CDs will be half-price for attendees!
Thursday, Oct 26th 9:00pm
the O'Neill Pub
Friendly John joins in this month!
Friday, Oct 27th 8:00pm
Hot Club of Hawthorne
4th Fridays. This is a gorgeous new lounge and Southern restaurant. southforkpdx.com
Saturday, Oct 28th 9:00pm
Halloween extravaganza! The band has a special Halloween show and dresses to the nines in costumes. It's free, so stop in while you are making the rounds! The Spare Room is a spacious venue up on NE 42nd Ave. near Alberta, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Sunday, Oct 29th 8:00pm
The Yellers have a residency that week, and have asked my bluegrass band Train River to play the opening night! The lineup will feature Michael Berly, Flauren Ricketts, and Ray Mann, and Tim Connell will likely sit in. Tim Connell and Erik Skye open the show.
RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/1917014691881206