If you are living outside of Wairakei zone it is only possible to secure a place at Wairakei Primary School if there is a vacancy.
Enrolment schemes exist to ensure that class sizes do not exceed the Ministry of Education property resources at the school. Students living outside of the zone may apply for a place through the ballot system, which will be used if there are vacancies to fill. Please complete the form available from the school office and return before 3p.m. Wednesday, September 9, 2020.
We will contact you within three working days of the ballot to let you know whether or not we can offer a position at Wairakei Primary School.
Information on Enrolment scheme for 2020-2021
This year the Board of Trustees has made the decision to move to a termly ballot, for the remainder of 2020 through to Term three, 2021.
This will allow our school to be more responsive to changing needs, to manage more carefully when places are offered and to ensure siblings of current students are able to be offered places.
The priority order for places remains:
1. First priority must be given to any applicant who is accepted for enrolment in a special programme run by the school (Wairakei Primary School does not have a special programme so this priority does not apply).
2. Second priority must be given to any applicant who is the sibling of a current student of the school.
3. Third priority must be given to any student who is the sibling of a former student of the school.
4. Fourth priority must be given to any applicant who is a child of a former student of the school.
5. Fifth priority must be given to any applicant who is either a child of an employee of the board of the school or a child of a member of the board of the school.
6. Sixth priority must be given to all other applicants.
Ballot dates for 2020-2021
For students enrolling in Term 4, 2020 (Oct 12 - Dec 11) the ballot closes 3p.m. Wednesday, September 9, 2020 with the ballot taking place on September 11.
For students enrolling in Term 1, 2021 (Feb 2 - April 16) the ballot closes 3p.m. Wednesday, November 25, 2020 with the ballot taking place on November 27.
If there are any vacancies the dates for the rest of 2021 are advertised as:
Term 2, 2021 the ballot closes 3p.m. Wednesday, March 10, 2021 with the ballot taking place on March 12, 2021.*
Term 3, 2021 the ballot closes 3p.m. Wednesday, May 27, 2021 with the ballot taking place on May 29, 2021.*
* Dates for the rest of 2021 and future will be advertised when they become available and are subject to change.
** Deadline for applications for each ballot is two days prior to the ballot date. A decision on the number of places being offered each term will be made prior to the deadline for each ballot. Families will be notified within 3 days of the ballot the outcome and have 14 days to accept or reject the offer of a place.
From Term 4, 2020 (October 12) - Term 3, 2021 (October 1) Wairakei are accepting placement for the following vacancies:
- 40 Places for 0/1
- 7 places year 2
- 2 places year 3
- 2 places year 4
- 2 places year 5
If there are more applicants in the second, third, fourth, or fifth priority groups than there are places available, selection within the priority group will be by ballot conducted in accordance with instructions by the Secretary. Under Section llG (1) of the Education Act 1989. Parents will be informed of the date of any ballot by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school.
Applicants seeking second or third priority status may be required to give proof of a sibling relationship.
Download Ballot Application Form. Please print and return to office.
If you want to know more email Principal Paula Farquhar or phone the office 07 374 8035.
Want to end your 'best–fit’ school search?
Join our exclusive 'Steaming into School'. A fantastic opportunity to learn about Wairakei Primary School and talk to staff and Principal, Paula Farquhar about why we are a 'good fit' for your family.
Dates for Term 4 2020:
- Wednesday, October 28, 2020
- Wednesday, November 4, 2020
- Wednesday, November 11, 2020
- Wednesday, November 18, 2020
- Wednesday, November 25, 2020
Contact Fiona or the office to pre-register your child