DFEL NEWSLETTER JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2018
Use your smile to change the world. Don't let the world change your smile. Unknown.
Hello! Welcome to the first newsletter of 2018! I hope you had a peaceful, healthy and happy festive season. I think a lot of us found 2017 quite a year, not always easy to keep smiling, which is why I liked this quote, a good thought for 2018.
2018 is an important year for people living with dementia and their care-partners. The East Lothian Health and Social Care Partnership is developing Dementia and Carer Strategies and we're making sure there are opportunities to get our voices heard and influence the decisions that affect our lives and those of generations to come.
You told us you want opportunities to have your say about the things that matter to you and that you enjoy coming together at gatherings and learning events. You also told us we need to challenge stigma and raise awareness about dementia. So that's what we're doing.
2018 opens with gatherings for people with dementia and carers and a knowledge exchange event that brings academics, people affected by dementia, communities and service providers together to learn and make real change happen. We're also starting a collaborative project with Cockenzie House and Gardens to create a community sensory garden as part of the CO-OP Local Community Fund
. There are opportunities for you to run events in your community; organise and run an East Lothian Carer event, supported by the Life Changes Trust
and help help us develop a dementia-inclusive community food hub - Our Community Kitchen
. Work continues with the Memory Team to build community connections, the DEEP Friendship Groups and DF Longniddry.
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
- DEEP GATHERING: LIVING WITH DEMENTIA IN EAST LOTHIAN: 2.30 - 4pm on 30th January. The Maitlandfield House Hotel, Haddington. What matters to people living with dementia? Have your say.
- CARERS EVENT PLANNING GROUP FIRST MEETING. 30th January 2018. Times to be confirmed, The Maitlandfield House Hotel, Haddington. Come & help plan an East Lothian event for people who care for and support people with dementia.
- SCOTTISH UNIVERSITIES INSIGHT INSTITUTE: CHANGING THINKING ABOUT DEMENTIA: COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT & DEMENTIA - REALISING POTENTIAL. 9.30 - 5pm on 31st January at the Maitlandfield House Hotel, Haddington. Bringing academics and communities together to learn from each other. Come and be part of making change happen. Please sign up HERE.
- COCKENZIE HOUSE AND GARDENS: CREATING A COMMUNITY SENSORY GARDEN. 28th February at Cockenzie House, 2pm - 3.30pm. Interested in gardens and nature? Want to find out more? Come along and join us.
- EAST LOTHIAN CARER CONFERENCE: CALL FOR PLANNING GROUP MEMBERS We are delighted that the Life Changes Trust is funding and supporting an event in East Lothian run BY and FOR people who care for people with dementia. They are looking for volunteers to join the planning group; training and reasonable expenses will be provided. See below for more information and how to get involved.
- OUR COMMUNITY KITCHEN - Thanks to Big Lottery, Elaine has been talking to people about a community food hub which includes people living with dementia and carers and builds on DFEL's community-led approach. We're planning the second stage now. Please join in the discussion and share your ideas through the Our Community Kitchen Facebook Page. LINK HERE.
- RUN A DF EVENT IN YOUR COMMUNITY OR ORGANISATION. In 2018, we'll support communities and agencies to run events for Dementia Awareness Week (early June); Carers Week (11 - 17 June), Luminate Creating Ageing festival (October) and Christmas - yes already! If you've got a DF idea, please get in touch - we're here to help.
Dementia Friendly East Lothian is all about our day to day lives in the community and how we treat each other. By understanding dementia and its impact and building friendships and connections in communities, we all change lives for the better. Every single one of us can make a huge difference, even if we just smile and say 'hello'.
Sue & Elaine :-)
Wishing you and yours a healthy, joyous and happy 2018. Thank you for all you've done and here's to sharing our smiles and valuing friends in 2018, no matter what it brings.
Dementia Friendly East Lothian CIC
Phone: 07727 883 881