What have we been up to this week?
Hello there! Welcome to you 41st ScourgeBringer open development issue! It's a bit late, but please bear with the fact that I'm sending it from under a blanket while overcoming a rough cold.
Previously on ScourgeBringer: Florian and I took a moment to reflect on the game design and move forward with the missing bricks. We started to work on the long range combat system and its synergy with the other systems.
Last week, we progressed on the weapon system, making a bunch of adjustments to our editor now that we are actually making weapons.
One of the biggest burden that we faced was about an external library that we use to rapidly make editors: WPF Toolkit. It's a huge time saver but we noticed way too late that the advanced use we are making out of it (with lots of nested data) make the library very unstable. At best, we were loosing data for no reason, and at worse it was crashing with no debugging options. The thing is, this library exists in two versions: the "plus' version, which is paid software, and the "normal" version, which is free but limited to fixes from one year ago. We're on the normal version but the "plus" version has the same issues (which makes paying $400 per year irrelevant), and replacing the library is now too late and would take too much time. So I hacked around a bunch of fixes specific to our issues and we moved on. Not ideal, but workable.
In other news, we started to integrate the weapon system discussed in the previous issue and we are currently playtesting everything to make sure that it's smooth enough.
While the base idea seems robust and interesting, we are having a few design questions regarding the controls. It's a bit clogged right now and we need to simplify a few interactions or rework the control scheme before moving forward.
As mentioned earlier, we worked on weapons and their editor. It's just a warm up but we started to design some of the most standard weapons to try them out.
That's it for today, see you next week!