What have we been up to this week?
Hey hey! Isn't that the 38th ScourgeBringer open development issue? Sure it is!
Previously on ScourgeBringer: I continued working on our boss system and editor to move forward to playable bosses. I implement the animation transitions manager which now makes bosses alive and moving correctly! Florian on his hand, has been continuing his work for Ankama.
Last week, we renewed our hardware! This is good time to make a 2019 budget forecast.
Florian is working on MacOS, so he changed to a new Mac Book Pro, while I changed my Windows PC. We had the same hardware since the beginning of Flying Oak Games. That's pretty much 5 years, so you can image the performance boost! For example, building NeuroVoider on consoles went from 25 minutes down to 3 minutes! Cores and fast SSD sure help build times. If you take a look at the budget breakdown, you'll see that we rounded this investment to roughly 1 month of budget.
I'm not sure if I already mentioned it: our target release date is now mid-2020, which means that ScourgeBringer development still requires something close to 18 months. But hey, don't we have only 6.5 months left on our budget? While that may sound alarming, the situation is under control. Did you notice that it's been a while that our extra budget didn't grow? That's because our ongoing royalties and contract work payments are expected to all land in early 2019. We also have a bunch of cool NeuroVoider news coming next year, which makes us solidly confident budget-wise. Note that these are not wild forecast, but already signed and 100% predictable income (we do not consider unpredictable elements in our budget). Also note that we're still looking to secure funds for music composition, sound design, and marketing, but I'm hoping to bring the news regarding this in a few weeks!
Now to the actual work that has been done throughout the week.
Florian has finished is contract work for Ankama and should be back on ScourgeBringer starting this week! Which means that the GIFs are going to come back and that this newsletter will look sexier.
Meanwhile, I continued the work on the bosses. I finished all the work regarding hitboxes management, and we can now define weak spots and attack colliders for boss animations using our timeline editor. Annndd it is now possible to fully create playable bosses within our editor!
Now that Florian is back on the project, we are going to move forward on finishing our vertical slice. For that to happen, we still need to implement our weapon system, add more varied enemies to make all the gameplay elements relevant, and of course fully design and animate a boss. We're expecting to do all this by the end of January!
Beside this, I spent some time improving (again) our tools by making the editor capable to detect file changes (like our bullet and/or particle description files) and to auto-reload them. It was previously needed to restart the editor when we changed bullets and stuff, but now we can do anything from an uninterrupted session of the editor! Yet another huge time saver. (I guess I spent the whole duration of Florian's contract work improving our tools for being ready when he comes back.)
That wraps last week progress! See you next mission!