Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) NOTICE OF FUNDING AVAILABILITY: Maryland Nonprofit Recovery Initiative (NORI)
The Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) is administering up to $40 million of the Governor’s $50 million Nonprofit Recovery Initiative (NORI). The remaining nonprofit funding will be administered by the Maryland Department of Commerce. Of the $40 million being administered by DHCD, $10 million is earmarked for nonprofit licensees of the Maryland Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities Administrations.
The remaining up to $30 million will be for nonprofits whose mission and work is focused on the economic development and economic recovery of Maryland communities as well as those nonprofits that focus on the health and human services and housing of underserved Maryland populations. This Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) pertains only to the $30 million allocation and provides a preview of the application. Application: https://dhcd.maryland.gov/Communities/Pages/MarylandNonprofitRecoveryInitiative.aspx.
A separate NOFA for the $10 million set-aside for nonprofits licensed by Maryland Behavioral Health Administration (BHA) and the Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) is also available from DHCD: http://www.dhcd.maryland.gov/MNRI
Information about nonprofit funding through the Maryland Department of Commerce is as follows:
Maryland Small Business COVID-19 Emergency Relief Grant Fund:
Maryland State Arts Council Arts Recovery Grant:
Dana Parsons email@example.com
Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) Applicant Eligibility Criteria:
To be eligible to apply, a nonprofit must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must be a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization.
- Organizations that are in good standing with the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT).
- Organizations based in Maryland that serve Maryland communities and populations (through the focus areas of economic development and economic recovery or health and human services or housing).
- Organizations with 50 or fewer employees (full time equivalents) as of March 1, 2020
- Organizations with annual revenues of less than $5 million.
- Organizations that can demonstrate the negative financial impact of COVID-19 as represented by reduced operating revenue or increased operating expenses.
- Financially viable nonprofits whose operations will continue forward
Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) Funding Criteria:
The maximum grant request amount is $50,000 and the minimum amount is $5,000 based on the organization’s annual operating budget.
- Only applications that are fully complete at submission will be considered for funding.
- Eligible requests will be for basic operating support (staffing, rent, utilities, supplies, etc.) to address the revenue reductions and/or expense increases due to COVID-19 and the related state-of-emergency, the replacement of which is critical to the nonprofit’s continuity of operations.
- These decreased revenues or increased expenses must occur within the period of March 1, 2020 through December 30, 2020 (per CARES Act funding requirements).
- Grant requests up to $50,000 are allowed from eligible applicants with annual operating budgets at or above $1 million and below $5million. (Maximum grant request is $50,000)
- Grant requests up to $25,000 are allowed from eligible applicants with annual operating budgets at or above $250,000 and below $1million.
- Grant requests up to $10,000 are allowed from eligible applicants with annual operating budgets below $250,000. (Minimum grant request is $5,000)
- Funding requests will be reviewed on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Individual grant amounts may be reduced relative to requests, if demand exceeds available funding.
Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) Application Process:
- NOFA release: Friday, July 10
- Projected on-line NORI application portal opens: 12:00 noon, Wednesday, July 22 PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES
- Application portal closes: 12:00 noon, Wednesday, July 29 at the latest; the portal may close if or when grant requests exceed available funding.
- Funding announcements on a rolling basis beginning no later than Wednesday, August 19th.
Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) Application Requirements:
In addition to basic organizational information, such as the organization’s official mission statement, the following information and attachments will be required in the on-line application in order for an application to be considered complete. Space to answer will be very limited; it is recommended that applicants prepare answers and gather required attachments in advance of the July 22 opening of the on-line application.
1. Organizational Summary: A brief description of the organization’s (a) recent accomplishments, and (b) financial ability to continue operations.
2. COVID Impacts: A brief summary of the (a) overall revenue reductions and/or (b) expense increases incurred or projected for the period March 1, 2020 through December 30, 2020.
3. Budget/Use of Funds: A simple budget form will be provided in the on-line application in which the applicant will list the sources and use(s) of requested funds and related awards.
Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) Required Application Attachments:
The following attachments will be required in the on-line application in order for the application to be considered complete:
- IRS Determination Letter of 501c3 status
- Online verification of Certificate of Good Standing from the Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation
- The applicant’s most current Year-To-Date financial statements, preferably through May 2020.
- IRS W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification
Regionally assigned DHCD team leaders can help you. For quickest response, use the following email contact information to reach staff since most DHCD staff are teleworking.
Eastern Shore, Cecil, and Harford
Karen Forbes: firstname.lastname@example.org
JB Weiss: email@example.com