Greetings Orchestra Families,
Hard to believe it’s just over a month until our departure from LAX to New York!
At the upcoming Parent Meeting on April 25th we will be covering the Carnegie field trip in detail and be able to answer any questions you may have, so:
- Please plan on attending the Parent Meeting in the Mira Costa Small Theater on April 25th, from 7-9 pm – this is an important meeting! (The small theater is located behind the orchestra and band rooms if facing west)
- View the summarized Itinerary here – keep in mind this is a summary – there is quite a lot of detail behind each of the line items in order to manage our 266 students
- View flight info for orchestra students here. The students are in 3 different flight groups, on 3 different pages
TO DO LIST
- Please check your student’s instrument case (for violin and viola players) – if instrument and case is privately owned it will be the student’s responsibility to make sure it is travel-worthy. (Cellos and basses will be rented in NY, so this doesn’t apply to cello and bass players.)
- If your student’s instrument/case is school-owned, please have your student tell the director if the case or instrument needs to be repaired.
- Please make sure your student has student contact information inside the case.
PERMISSION SLIP AND INFORMATION TO STUDENTS & FAMILIES
- 3-4 weeks out from Departure Date of May 26th, our directors will be sending out the new MBUSD field trip form to your student. This form needs to be signed by your student’s teachers [this new form includes the new district required attendance page]; this permission slip will also require signatures from both student and parent/legal guardian;
- Along with the new field trip form there will be a director-generated field trip conduct policy, the Itinerary and any Itinerary updates, student packing list, and additional information we may be disseminating at that time.
- We will be using a couple of smartphone apps to facilitate communication and location during the trip. If you’re interested, you can download these 2 apps onto your phone prior to the April 25th parent meeting. We will be reviewing how we will use this technology to assist communication with our students, chaperones and staff.
- WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows you to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS. WhatsApp Messenger is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, Android and Nokia.
- Life360 is a networking app and location-based service that allows its members to share their location with each other, and easily communicate throughout the day. Life360 is available for iOS, Android and Windows phones.
Thank you so much for your support and patience as we prepare for a trip of a lifetime!
Mira Costa Orchestra Boosters