EPA Withdraws Proposed Veto of Pebble Mine
On July 30, EPA withdrew its 2014 proposed "veto" determination to block the Pebble Mine project - a project opposed by over 100 groups including many WPN members - that would pollute pristine waters, destroy thousands of acres of wetlands, and degrade vital wildlife habitat in Alaska's Bristol Bay watershed. The 2014 proposed veto was issued under EPA's Clean Water Act Section 404(c) authority - which over 300 groups including many WPN members oppose restricting - to block or restrict extremely destructive projects. EPA's decision to withdraw the proposed veto potentially removes a major barrier to constructing the extraordinarily destructive Pebble Mine project. EPA will now focus on the Clean Water Act permit review process with the Corps of Engineers.
Learn more about EPA's decision to withdraw the proposed veto:
Other updates on Pebble Mine:
Finding the Means: Investment and Adaptation in Vulnerable Communities
WPN member Tulane Institute on Water Resources Law & Policy recently published Finding the Means: Investment and Adaptation in Vulnerable Communities with The Water Institute of the Gulf as part of a project looking at vulnerable coastal communities as they face multiple pressures ranging from sea-level rise to repeated flooding.
From the Tulane Institute on Water Resources Law & Policy:
This project was intended to find two things: 1. From a legal and socioeconomic perspective, what can be done to allow vulnerable communities to extend their lifespan? and 2. Where does the power to make decisions that affect a community's lifespan actually reside? It turns out that, many times, duties to adapt fall on the communities themselves, but they might not actually have the authority nor the capacity to take on those duties. Additionally, the things that make a community viable for its members are often controlled by decisions made far away from the communities themselves.
Selected Resources & News
Please email Ilana Rubin at email@example.com if you'd like to share something in a future WPN Update!
From WPN Members
Public Notices, Comment Periods, and Upcoming Meetings
Please see past WPN Updates for earlier notices, and visit FederalRegister.gov and federal agencies' own websites for complete listings of public notices, proposed rules, and rules. The Corps of Engineers may post additional public notices and related information not listed below on their division-level or district-level websites. Click here for a map with links to their division and district websites.
Corps of Engineers
- Published 7/31/2019: River Road Aquatic Ecosystem Restoration Feasibility Study Public Scoping Period, San Antonio, TX (Meeting August 13; Comment Deadline September 12)
- Published 7/30/2019: Pre-proposals for Massachusetts Department of Fish and Game In-Lieu Fee Program for aquatic resource restoration (Pre-proposal Deadline August 30)
- Published from the Engineering With Nature Initiative: Call for Projects for Engineering With Nature: An Atlas – Volume 2
- Published 7/26/2019: Columbia Park Land Disposal Environmental Assessment (EA), Kennewick, WA (Comment Deadline August 8)
- Published 7/23/2019: Department of the Navy in Bath seeks Corps permit to dredge portions of Kennebec River federal channel, Maine (Comment Deadline August 22)
- Published 7/22/2019: Notice of Availability of a Draft Environmental Impact Statement for Improvements to the US 70 Corridor, North Carolina (Comment Deadline September 6)
- Published 7/19/2019: Corps invites comments on draft FONSI and EA for aquatic invasive mussel control rapid response plan, Columbia River Basin (Comment Deadline August 19)
- Published 7/18/2019: Draft Environmental Assessment and Proposed Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) for Miami Harbor Navigation Project inner harbor dredging, Miami-Dade County, Florida (Comment Deadline August 19)
- Published 7/18/2019: Corps accepts comments on recommended plan for section 14 project in Loiza, Puerto Rico (Comment Deadline August 14)
- Published 7/18/2019: Intent To Prepare a Draft NEPA Document for the Upper St. Anthony Falls Lock and Dam Disposition Study, Hennepin County, Minnesota (Comment Deadline October 20; Scoping Meetings on August 13 and 19)
- Published 7/18/2019: Miami-Dade Back Bay Coastal Storm Risk Management Feasibility Study, Florida (Comment Deadline August 23)
- Published 7/18/2019: Collier County Hurricane and Storm Damage Reduction Feasibility Study, Florida (Comment Deadline August 23)
- Published 7/12/2019: Mississippi River Commission schedules low-water inspection trip (August 19 to 23 in Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana)
- Published 7/12/2019: DRAFT Environmental Assessment for a Proposed Land Disposal and Construction of a Flood Levee Project; Cheatham County, Tennessee (Comment Deadline August 16)
- Published 7/11/2019: Draft Environmental Assessment for Sioux Falls, South Dakota drainage improvement project available for comment (Comment Deadline August 9)
- Published 7/11/2019: Draft Supplemental Environmental Assessment for operation and maintenance repairs at Council Bend available for public review, Iowa (Comment Deadline August 9)
- Published 7/11/2019: Corps seeks comments on Judith Basin County, Montana rural water system project draft environmental assessment (Comment Deadline August 9)
- Published 7/11/2019: Wisconsin DNR and Corps seeking self-nominations for Wetland Mitigation Banking Listening Sessions (Nomination Deadline October 1)
- Published 7/9/2019: Public comments accepted through Aug. 8: Audubon Connecticut In-Lieu Fee Program proposes revisions to instrument covering aquatic resources
- Published 7/8/2019: Comment Period Extension on a State of West Virginia Proposal to Modify its Clean Water Act Section 401 Water Quality Certification of the 2017 Nationwide Permits (Comment Deadline July 27)
- Published 7/8/2019: Corps accepting comments on revised Lake Okeechobee Watershed report, Florida (Comment Deadline August 19)
- Published 7/8/2019: Special Notice of Comment Period Extension: Wetland Mitigation Banking and In-Lieu Programs in Ohio (Comment Deadline August 4)
- Published 7/5/2019: Columbia Park Land Disposal Environmental Assessment (EA) Scoping Comment Period, Washington (Comment Deadline August 8)
- Published 7/2/2019: Final Integrated Feasibility Report and Environmental Impact Statement - Adams and Denver County, CO
- Published 7/2/2019: Civil Monetary Penalty Inflation Adjustment Rule (Comment Deadline August 1; Effective September 3 unless an adverse comment is received)