Reflections on 2016
2016 was an incredible first year for the reorganized Friends of the Elk Rapids District Library.
The Friends successfully presented the Baffling Bill Magic Show free of charge that many in the community attended and enjoyed.
The Friends participated in Evening on River Street and successfully enrolled new members and increased awareness of the organization.
The Friends, with support from the Garden Club, were thrilled to give an original John Goss sculpture to the library that will be on display for many years.
The Friends hosted a community dedication and unveiling event for the sculpture in July.
The Friends continued to very successfully operate The Book Cellar, enabling them to provide program support for the library.
Resolutions for 2017
The Friends resolve to continue to support the library as a cultural and educational asset to the community.
The Friends resolve to increase our membership and volunteers in order to better serve the library.
The Friends resolve to spread the word of the value, pleasures and rewards of literacy.
The Friends hope you will make a New Year’s resolution to join us in a supporting role to accomplish our endeavors for the Elk Rapids District Library.
"A library is not a luxury but one of the necessities of life." – Henry Ward Beecher
THE FRIENDS WISH YOU A NEW YEAR FILLED WITH HAPPINESS AND GOOD HEALTH!
For Your Listening Pleasure
This Is The New Year
by Ian Axel
Auld Lang Syne
Happy New Year
by Nat King Cole
On The New Shelf
The Jealous Kind - James Lee Burke
Leave Me - Gayle Foreman
Three Sisters, Three Queens - Philippa Gregory
Our Revolution - Bernie Sanders
The Seventh Plague - James Rollins
Four Futures - Peter Frase
Madeline Finn & The Library Dog - Lisa Papp
Dark of the Moon - John Sanford
The Whole Town's Talking - Fannie Flagg
The Wrong Side of Goodbye - Michael Connelly
I'll Take You There - Wally Lamb
The Sleeping Beauty Killer - Mary Higgins Clark
Settle for More - Megyn Kelly
The Award - Danielle Steel
The Other Einstein - Marie Benedict
Thank You For Being Late - Thomas Friedman
Sex, Lies & Serious Money - Stuart Woods
News of The World - Paulette Jiles
The Hidden Life of Trees - Peter Wohlleben
The Chemist - Stephanie Meyer
Moonglow - Michael Chabon
Victoria - Daisy Goodwin
Hag-Seed - Atwood Margaret
Moral Defense - Marcia Clark
Odessa Sea - Clive Cussler
Cross the Line - James Patterson
and many more...
From the Recipe Box
January is the time for Comfort Food!
Double-Crust Chicken Pot Pie
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 medium leeks, sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups frozen cubed hash browns with onions and peppers
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 (17.3-oz.) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 large egg
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add leeks, and sauté 3 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth; bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; stir in chicken and next 5 ingredients.
2. Roll each pastry sheet into a 12- x 10-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Fit 1 sheet into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate; spoon chicken mixture into pastry. Place remaining pastry sheet over filling in opposite direction of bottom sheet; fold edges under, and press with tines of a fork, sealing to bottom crust. Whisk together egg and 1 Tbsp. water, and brush over top of pie.
3. Bake at 375° on lower oven rack 55 to 60 minutes or until browned. Let stand 15 minutes.