Intuitive eating is all about getting in touch with your body's internal cues, which include hunger, fullness, & emotions. These cues help your body by telling it what food it is craving, when you should eat, and how much food to consume. Below are 10 principles of intuitive eating:
1. Reject the diet mentality. Let go of dieting by saying no to all the rules around eating.
2. Honor your hunger. Ignoring hunger can lead to cravings and overeating. The more “in tune” you are with your hunger cues, the better you become at choosing foods that are both nourishing and satisfying.
3. Make peace with food. Give yourself permission to eat the food you like. You shouldn't X out the food that you love. Moderation is key!
4. Challenge the food police. Don’t let yourself or anyone else tell you that you’re “bad” for eating a certain food.
5. Feel your fullness. Your body will tell you when it’s full if you’ll listen.
6. Discover satisfaction. Eating is supposed to be a joyful and satisfying experience, but that can only happen if you let it.
7. Honor your feelings. Don’t eat your feelings. Instead, find non-food ways to cope with your emotions.
8. Respect your body. Don’t be critical of yourself; instead, accept your body, regardless of its shape.
9. Exercise, feel the difference. Don’t worry about how many calories you’re burning. Focus on how good it feels to be active.
10. Honor your health. You don’t have to be a perfect eater to be healthy. It’s about what you eat consistently over time that matters. Step away from the diet mentality and see how much more you can enjoy food.