Besides being the "month of hearts and flowers", to me February marks the turning point of winter. Finger's crossed the groundhog does his job and ends this frigid weather early!
Currently on Tour!
From this past Monday through Friday, February 10th, I'll be on tour through Goddess Fish Promotions for tomorrow's release of Paging Dr. Cupid. You can find all the stops here. Please stop by and comment for your chance to win.
Grace’s Monte Cristo Delight
(from Paging Dr. Cupid)
Ingredients for the batter:
1 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 large egg
¾ cup of milk (Grace prefers 10% cream—but she doesn’t have to watch her weight.)
¼ tsp. salt
2 tablespoons sugar
Ingredients for the sandwich:
8 slices each of Swiss cheese, turkey and ham
8 slices bread (Again, Grace prefers the thicker Texas style, but any square bread will do.)
Vegetable Oil—an inch deep in a large skillet (works better than a deep fryer)
Raspberry or strawberry jam for dipping
1. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; in a separate bowl, combine the milk and egg thoroughly.
2. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and combine thoroughly.
3. Assemble the sandwiches by layering a slice of Swiss cheese, the 4 meat slices, then another slice of Swiss cheese, top with the remaining slice of bread.
4. Leave the sandwiches whole for frying and then slice afterward.
5. Place a toothpick on each corner of the sandwich to hold in place for dipping and frying.
6. Dip the whole sandwich in the batter, covering the surface completely.
7. For the thicker Texas toast, fry in 340 degrees F. oil until golden. If you are using thinner bread, you can increase the temp to 360 degrees F for frying.
8. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
9. Remove the toothpicks and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
10. If you want the real treat, dip your sandwich in the flavored jam!