Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service is asking Derbyshire communities to follow its 12 top Christmas ‘Elf and Safety’ tips to help ensure everyone enjoys a safe and happy festive season.
• Check your indoor and outdoor Christmas lights conform to British Safety Standards.
• Check the battery in your smoke alarms every week. Only working smoke alarms can save lives.
• Decorations can burn easily. Keep them away from heaters and lights.
• Make sure you, your family and any visitors know what to do in an emergency and know your escape plan/route.
• Never overload your electrical sockets.
• Most fires start in the kitchen. Never leave cooking unattended. The risk of accidents in the kitchen is greater after alcohol is consumed.
• If you have an open fire, use a fire guard and do not store fuel next to the fire.
• Take the time to check on elderly relatives and neighbours this Christmas. Check their smoke alarms as well as their general health and wellbeing.
• Make sure cigarettes are completely extinguished before going to bed and never let ashtrays overflow.
• Never place candles near your Christmas tree or furnishings. Battery powered candles are much safer.
• Always switch Christmas lights off and unplug them before bed.
• If planning to celebrate with fireworks – always follow the fireworks code.