To our SkillsUSA Georgia schools and teachers,
First and foremost, thank you for your continued support of SkillsUSA Georgia. Our greatest desire is to serve our members and ensure that they receive an educational experience that will allow them to develop into career ready students. We are at the cusp of our pinnacle event for most members, the State Leadership and Skills Conference. While we remain steadfast in our goal to serve our members a quality educational experience, please be assured that the health and safety of our students and stakeholders is our primary concern.
With that objective in mind, we have adjusted the conference schedule and provided protocols in light of the current health issues and concerns resulting from the coronavirus (COVID-19).
All of these actions have been taken to reduce the attendee to attendee contact during the event and yet provide an environment in which students are able to demonstrate their skill development through first-class competitions.
- SkillsUSA Georgia will practice social distancing by:
- Instituting a “no hand-shake” policy
- Making the Opening General Session attendance optional
- Altering the “Meet the Candidate” portion of the conference so that candidates only deliver speeches during delegate session (no face-to-face campaigning)
- Canceling our Election 2020 workshops
- Canceling our Friday night dance
- Making the Award Sessions attendance optional
- All sessions will be streamed online at www.skillsusageorgia.org
- Winners names will be listed on the website by Sunday and medallions will be available for pick-up at the Omni conference headquarters immediately following the close of the sessions or mailed to the schools within two weeks along with any related prizes before the end of the school year.
We realize your school’s participation may be guided by decisions from your district, school administrator or parents, and, consequently, not every school may be able to attend this year’s event. Should your school decide to cancel their hotel reservations, you will still be responsible for room and tax charges for both nights. As previously stated in our conference registration materials, there is a no cancellation policy for the conference. We are unable to offer refunds for cancellations. Understanding that some competitors may not attend, we will allow a once-time exception to the penalty policy regarding missing teammates, as long as full teams were registered.
- In addition, SkillsUSA Georgia is encouraging the following protocols among all attendees:
- Frequent handwashing with soap and water
- Using hand sanitizer between handwashes
- Covering sneezes and coughs with facial tissues and then disposing
- Seeking treatment when symptomatic
- Remaining at home if exhibiting flu-like symptoms
- Immediately quarantine if symptoms arise
In the meantime, please know that we are cautiously working to the best of our ability to hold a productive, safe and inspiring conference for all of our attendees. We have made these conference related decisions based on the information to date provided by Governor Kemp and the Georgia Department of Public Health. We also recognize that this is an evolving situation, so we encourage all attendees to continue monitoring our website, conference app, social media and other official communications for updates as they develop.
The SkillsUSA national organization is also evaluating the situation daily, and they will make any decisions about the 2020 National Leadership and Skills Conference in Louisville, Ky., at a later date.
Thank you for everything you do and for your continued support,
SkillsUSA Georgia State Office
DOE/CTSO Coronavirus Response
Georgia World Congress Center Coronavirus Statement
CDC “Share Facts, Not Fear” Webpage
CDC Coronavirus Factsheet
Centers for Disease Control